Thursday, January 3, 2013

Selkie

Go To Comic
So, introduce yourself!
   I'm Dave, and I am equal parts author, illustrator, and website administrator for Selkie.
Where is your comic posted?
   I own my own website for the comic, www.selkiecomic.com
When does it update?
   Mondays and Thursdays
What category is your comic in, and why?
   Some mixture of Drama and Comedy. Dramady, or maybe Crama.




What is your story about?
My story is focused on the title character Selkie, and the family and friends which form her life experiences.

What inspired you to write this comic?
I drew the character in my sketchbook between calls while working a tech support job, and something about her grabbed my interest. The more I write and draw the comic, the more ideas and inspiration I get, and continue on because I love doing it.

What kind of world does your comic take place in?
A world very similar to our own, but with differences. The comic takes place in a fictional large city in Wisconsin located in what I believe is a national forest in the real word. Also, a sentient race of mer-people exists in this world (of which the title character is a member), but are unknown by the general populace. Most people who see Selkie, for example, assume her appearance is due to a medical condition.

What can you tell us about the mer-people?
Not much right now, I'm afraid. Selkie's people and origins are a plot point for much later in the storyline. They exist, but are mostly unknown to the general public.

What kind of impact does being a member of this species have on Selkie's life?
Selkie has to live her life being different in a very obvious and not-easily-hidden way. She deals with ostracizing and bullying, but has also made friends which help her through it. She also has a rather numerous list of special needs, such as periodically flushing out her gills and requiring a strict avoidance of plant matter in her food, which can make life more difficult than I think she really wants.
Who are your main characters?
Selkie Smith is the main character, an eight year old girl adopted by Todd Smith, an architect who decided to pursue fatherhood actively. The supporting cast is huge and continuously expanding, including Todd’s parents and siblings, Selkie’s friends and enemies from the orphanage she was raised in (who double as schoolmates), staff at the orphanage, teachers and staff at her elementary school, Todd’s ex-girlfriend, and more every day.

Do you have a favorite supporting character?
Jessie Flower. She started off as a quirky shoe clerk character not really intended to last more than two or three pages, then ideas for background and story popped into my head that I ran with, next thing I know I am working her into a recurring support role. She's the kind of earnest and bubbly personality, who also puts her foot in her mouth more often than is wise, that is fun to write.
What do you think makes your comic unique?
I think what makes my comic unique is really my writing style. The comic is long-form ongoing serials spiced up with slice-of-life and dry comedy. Many of my readers have told me that the characters give them a strong investment in the comic, and I always focus on making my dialogue and interactions as fluid and life-like as I can. I abhor stiff dialogue and wooden facial expressions.



How would you describe the style in which your comic is drawn?
I would describe it as… uncomplex. My goal is a cel-animation visual style (black outlines and flat colors with flat shading).

How do you make a page?
I sketch the comic-to-be out in my sketchbook, scan it into Photoshop, outline and color the characters, and generally do backgrounds as unobtrusively as I can.
Your art has gone through some evolution throughout the comic's lifespan Do you have any comments to make on that?
I continually tweak the artwork in both big and small ways, sometimes diverging sharply for particular pages or arcs. Overall, I try to make the art "feel" right to me.


Do you have any plans to sell your comic in print or e-book form?
Eventually, yes, I would like to get the book compiled for print/e-book editions.

Is there any other form of Selkie Merch currently on the market?
I am currently selling lapel pins and prints, and I have an eye on a book compilation of the first chapter/arc pretty close down the line.
Are you part of any comics networks or groups?
No, I work alone for the time being.

Have you worked on any other comics?
I tried my hand at making webcomics off and on but never had a concept that stuck until I made Selkie. My previous webcomic attempts are no longer online, but they included a superhero story set five years after an alien invasion, a space adventure with wizards, a strip about talking geographical formations which cussed a lot, and a dark humor/horror humor strip about two undead children (which I ended up referencing in Selkie has the main character’s favorite cartoon, The Adventures of Sue and Kathryn. The dark/horror humor is more whimsical and adventure themed in this version).

Do you have any advice for fellow comics writers?
“Write What You Know” is good advice, but don’t be afraid to reach beyond your own experiences.

Do you have a message for your fans?
You guys are great, and I love writing/drawing for you. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Want to spread the word? Please Copy/Paste the code below to share this promo button on your blog or forum.
HTML


FORUM